Every year, The League of American Bicyclists publishes their list of Bicycle Friendly Communities, Businesses, and Universities. This year, Florida has 19 communities that made the list including Boca Raton.
Each Bicycle Friendly Community recognized by the League is different. Each with their own natural benefits and challenges — from climate and topography to culture and population density. But there are essential elements across five categories — known as the Five E’s — that are consistent in making great places for bicycling.
- Engineering – The community must be designed with cyclists in mind, which includes things like bike lanes, bike paths, and bike parking.
- Education – The community must have bicycle education programs in place for both children and adults.
- Encouragement – The community encourages bicycling such as through events like a Bike Month or Bike to Work Day.
- Enforcement – There must be local laws in place to protect bicyclists.
- Evaluation/Planning – Planning for bicycling as a safe and viable transportation option.
Boca Raton is committed to promoting and encouraging bicycling as a safe, economical, environmentally friendly, and health-conscious mode of transportation. Boca was rated Bronze by The League of American Bicyclists and is striving to significantly increase its status. The basic grid of the Boca’s bikeways now totals over forty-four miles of bike lanes and thirty miles of off-road shared paths. Over the years the network has been enhanced by highly successful projects such as the A1A bicycle lanes, the El-Rio Shared Use Trail and the Patch Reef Trail.
For residents of Akoya at Boca West Country Club, the achievement is a testament to the cycling/fitness lifestyle they have come to appreciate. Whether it is Akoya’s 24-hour fitness center with state-of-the-art training equipment, Boca West’s wide variety of fitness classes, or simply biking around the beautifully landscaped community, residents of Akoya have many opportunities to live an active life. For more information on Akoya’s amenities, click here.